I'm a performance nerd and if something isn't as fast as it can be it hurts my soul.
I have this side project called SongSear.ch. It's a lyrics search engine with over 2 million songs.
To try to make a buck to pay for the hosting cost, I put in ads. The only one I could find that does NOT use
document.write is AdBuff. But their technical implementation, pardon my French, sucks! It's redirects upon redirects in an iframe over HTTP. Granted, it loads async but it's still dragging down performance for people on low-end devices and on mobile networks.
Today I decided to take the AdBuff ads off. Let's see if it made a difference performance-wise:
Basically, 2.7 seconds (on LTE) instead of 14.3 seconds. And 211Kb of data instead of 1Mb.
So how much money do I stand to lose for ditching these ads? Well, I've earned a grand total of $10.82 in total for 1,214,072 impressions. That's what I spend on hosting this project every 6 days. Clearly this isn't working out.
Adversal.com emailed me that they rolled out some new features including "Blazing fast ad code". Sure. Let's try it then.
Elements of it might be fast but nothing is fast when it needs some ~80 extra requests.
- Best YouTube Chefs of 2017
14 July 2017
- Find static files defined in django-pipeline but not found
25 July 2017
- Related by category:
- How to create-react-app with Docker
17 November 2017
- How to throttle AND debounce an autocomplete input in React
01 March 2018
- Fastest way to find out if a file exists in S3 (with boto3)
16 June 2017
- Be very careful with your add_header in Nginx! You might make your site insecure
11 February 2018
- Displaying fetch() errors and unwanted responses in React
06 February 2019
- Related by keyword:
- Ultrafast loading of CSS
01 September 2017
- How to do performance micro benchmarks in Python
24 June 2017
- Webpack Bundle Analyzer for create-react-app
14 May 2018
- To CDN assets or just HTTP/2
17 May 2018
- Even more aggressively trying to preload your next page load
22 January 2018